Monday, February 11, 2013

Wintery Mix #2

Cross racing in February........apparently so!! I represented Cow Town in the CAT3’s at the Wintery Mix #2. They started the 1/2 field at the same time as the CAT3’s, so it was good to start and test my fitness and skills with the elite guys in the area. I hung in with the field for the first ½ to ¾ of a lap, then the 1/2 field started to open up a gap (need to get a little faster before I ever think about upgrading). I felt OK for most of the race, but regretted doing a LT test the day before, as I think if maybe I had been well rested that I might have possibly made the podium. I had one mishap during the race, where I hit one of the dips a little hard while seated way back on my saddle and knocked the nose pointing almost straight up. I rode as best I could on the saddle and grabbed my Ritchey pit bike to finish out the race with 2 to go (I will be switching to a 2 bolt post before next season). I actually enjoyed the course, although the softer areas were tough to power your way through, as it was that thick, unforgiving, wheel grabbing mud. The section with “the ditch” was a blast. The wind was definitely a factor and there was no hiding from it. I ended up 6th for the day and I am happy with the result.

My props to Mark Thomas and crew with the course design.  I had heard it was pretty rough at previous races, but a little rain did wonders.

 
I want to thank Roger Harrison again for giving me a jump start. I had left my lights on and my battery was dead after the race. Roger is a truly selfless person and has been an important part Kansas City bike racing for years. Thanks for all you do Roger!

No comments: